Freitag, 12. April 2013

Warming climate...

[English below] Um diese Jahreszeit schaue ich mir immer regelmässig die Packeis- und Eisbergvorhersagekarten von Environment Canada an und hoffe auf Eis und Eisberge. Dabei bin ich auf die Karte unten gestossen: in Rot sind alle jene Flächen markiert, wo Ende März eigentlich Packeis sein hätte sollen, aber keines war. Als Wissenschaftler weiss ich wohl, dass man nich von Einzelereignissen nicht auf einen Trend schliessen kann. Doch zusammen mit der  Tatsache, dass in den letzten in 18 Jahren die Eisdecke 16 mal unter dem 30 Jährigen Mittel lag, ist das Bild unten wohl ich ein deutliches Zeichen einer Klimaerwärmung... Sicher ist jedenfalls, dass heuer kein so gutes Eisbergjahr wird als letztes Jahr, denn die Eisberge schmelzen und zerbrechen auf dem Weg hierher ohne den Schutz des Packeises viel schneller.
***
This time of year, I regularly check Environment Canada's sea ice and iceberg forecasts, and came across the chart below: areas in red are where there should have been sea ice at the end or March, but wasn't. As as scientist, I know better than to interpret a single event like this as a sign of climate change. But taken together with the fact that the ice coverage around the Newfoundland was below the 30 year average in 16 out of the last 18 years, I think the image below is a pretty convincing sign of a warming trend... In any event, it seems this year will not be a great year for icebergs, since the icepack protects them from melting and breaking up on their way down iceberg alley.

Fehlendes Packeis - Missing pack ice.

2 Kommentare:

Tony hat gesagt…

Last year on April 3 I was in Torbay where the pack ice was in but enough open water to paddle around. On April 7 we were paddling around icebergs outside of Quidi Vidi.

Its late this year but I think because winds have not been favourable to blow the ice our way.

I've been saving jpg images of the sea ice and I plan to do a movie of the movement once it decides what it wants to do.

Tony :-)

Unknown hat gesagt…

Tony: I agree that the winds have not been favoring the ice, and still hoping for at least some icebergs. My thoughts on the warming trend were based on this chart: http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/prods/CVCHACTEC/20130408180000_CVCHACTEC_0007006091.gif - it seems that there is substantially less ice than in the 80's and early 90's... I look forward to the ice movie - great idea!