Montag, 9. September 2013

Triathlon

[English below] Im Frühling haben sich mein Kumpel Paul und ich für den St. John's Triathlon (Sprint Distanz: 750 m Schwimmen, 23 km Radfahren und 5 km Laufen) angemeldet, und diesen am 4. August erfolgreich absolviert (Ergebnisse hier). Und weils trotz strömendem Regen viel Spass gemacht hat, haben wir dann gleich auch noch den Paradise Triathlon ein paar Wochen später drangehängt (Ergebnisse hier - etwas längere Strecke). Unten ein paar Fotos von mir, die während der Rennen gemacht wurden (mehr in den Alben der Fotografen: St. John's race, Paradise race), sowie die "Finisher Fotos" von Melissa als jeweiliges Foto der Woche.

This spring, my buddy Paul and I signed up or the St. John's Triathlon (sprint distance: 750 m swim, 23 km bike ride and 5 km run), and successfully completed the race on August 4th (my first ever competitive sports event, results here). And because we has so much fun despite the pouring rain and felt in pretty good shape, we decided to participate in the next race in Paradise a few weeks later aswell (results here, note: slightly longer course). I am taking the liberty to repost below some pictures of the races taken by others (St. John's race, Paradise race), aswell as the two finisher photos by Melissa, which I have chosen as the respective picture of the week. Looking forward to next years races!

St. John's Triathlon 2013 - enjoying the  bike portion (by Paul Lahey).

St. John's Triathlon 2013 - and off to the run (by Paul Lahey).

Erstes Rennen erfolgreich absolviert / My first race completed (Photo der Woche / Picture of the week # 32, by Melissa).

Paradise Triathlon 2013 - on the bike again, this time in better weather (by Norman Bungay).

Paradise Triathlon 2013 - sprint to the finish line (by Norman Bungay).

Finishers with their biggest fans (Photo der Woche / Picture of the week # 34, by Melissa)

6 Kommentare:

Sean Dawe hat gesagt…

Nice to see people still riding steel framed bikes without all the fancy aero "gimmicks"!!

A job well done.

Ssean

Unknown hat gesagt…

Thanks Sean :) I didn't want to go out and spend lots of money on a new bike when I was just starting out with this triathlon thing. I figure I had the oldest bike on the circuit, but I still passed a number of people, so it served me pretty well.

Tobias

Sean Dawe hat gesagt…

I am sucker for the classic look of the old steel bikes!! Not sure if you saw this blog entry I made last year:

http://justyakkin2.blogspot.ca/2012/01/will-rubber-hit-road-again.html

Cheers,

Sean

Unknown hat gesagt…

Sean, I just re-read that post of yours - you have a pretty impressive biking record! I've always enjoyed biking, and it feels good to be back into it. I am curious to try that Signal Hill challenge now - from where exactly did you start, how long did it take you. I have no illusions to get close to your time from back then, but would like to give it a try for a benchmark anyway ;)
Tobias

Sean Dawe hat gesagt…

Hey Tobia: We started down by Devon House which is just across from the Hotel. This little flat section gave us a little bit of rolling speed before we hit the climb. My fastest time was 4:11. I would've been about 19 at the time.

There's a bit of back story to this race. I spent the night before at our cabin - doing things you'd not expect pre-race!!! I rode from the cabin (near St. Philips) to the race, stopping at Winsor Lake to fill my water bottle as I was a bit thirsty. LOL!! I guess the ride to the hill was a good warm up and nothing like a Signal Hill Climb to cure a hangover - ughh!! True (but sad) story!!!

Cheers,

Sean

Unknown hat gesagt…

Funny story :) Wow, that is a pretty impressive time!